Murray Timber Framing
This carpentry apprenticeship training
program is for those who want to invest their time and energy in
learning the skills of timber frame carpentry.
Murray Timber Framing LLC
Murray Timber Framing offers apprenticeships to
those who want to invest their time and energy in learning the skills
necessary to be a timber framer. Apprenticeships operate on an 8 hour
work day with personalized instruction at a level appropriate to the
- Attendance at a one week Murray Timber
Framing workshop is a requirement prior to applying for an
- Cost for an apprenticeship is $700.00 per
month (one month minimum).
- Apprentice will have required tools (see
list below) on first day.
- Apprenticeships are intended to last from
one month to three months (possibly longer).
- Either party may end the apprenticeship at
- Space is limited. Call for
Murray timber will
- Hands-on work and instruction in
the skills of the timber frame joiner at a level
appropriate for the apprentice.
Apprentice will provide:
Tools listed below are a minimum
- 1 1/2" framing chisel
- tape measure
- framing square (24"x18")
- combination square
- utility knife
- carpenter's pencil
- tool belt
Instruction given and topics
covered as appropriate for individual apprentice.
- Use and care of basic timber frame hand
- Sharpening and care of hand
- Basic timber frame joinery
- Basic layout skills
- Trial assembly techniques
- Frame mechanics
- Raising and rigging
- Joint design
- Frame design
- Compound joinery; layout and
- Compound joinery geometry
- Edge rule theory and layout
- Square rule theory and layout
- Scribe rule theory and layout
Housing, in the form of group living, may be
available to apprentices. Call for cost and availability.
Some may wish to go on to work as professional
Murray Timber will be happy to give references
for employment where warranted based on performance.
frames / gazebos